Summary: This is a super easy dish delicious squid cooked to perfection with sweet roasted peppers now the bitterness and peppery flavors of the escarole with bursts of plump small tomatoes, spicy chili finished with a squirt of fresh lemon to bring it all together. Ummmmmm
- 4 people appetizer size.
- 1 package of frozen calamari, about 3-5 lbs. there is a lot of water in the squid.
- Jar of roasted peppers julienned “cut long ways”
- 2 handfuls of escarole, rough chop them.
- 1 large lemon 1 package of cherry tomatoes cut in half.
- Red chili flakes or whatever chili’s you want.
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Defrost the squid in a bowl of warm water, clean if needed there is only a strip of clear cartilage that comes right out. Or you can buy it cleaned and cut if you want.
- Now the most important part. In a medium size pot boil some water and poach the calamari till it firms up then remove with strainer in large bowl. This will remove all the excess water in the calamari otherwise you’ll have a zuppa style dish.
- Now in a large frying pan heat up about and add a 3 count of extra virgin olive oil.
- Now throw in the firm calamari, a generous pinch of kosher sea salt and give a quick stir.
- Now add the cherry tomatoes, roasted peppers, and escarole. Give a squirt of half a lemon another pinch of salt. Add the chili’s and give a stir.
- Sautee for about 2 minutes mix and serve. Finish with a pinch of crushed red chili’s a squirt of lemon and a drizzle of good finishing extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!