Giardiniera means from the garden. This is one of my favorite sandwich toppers. This is a mixture of
clean fresh vegetables, chili’s for spice olive oil and a touch of vinegar. My very favorite is a hot roast
beef and cheese sandwich with giardiniera! Some other great ways I like to incorporate giardinaria with
scrambled eggs, almost any sandwich, with grilled sausage, just spread on good Italian grilled bread is
awesome, on hot dogs, burgers or whatever you want. I don’t use any real measurement and when I
make it I jar a few cases, enough to get me through the year. You can make a much smaller amount.
This will be for about 4 cups roughly.
- About 2 red peppers, 2 green peppers, 2 yellow peppers.
- 3 sticks of celery.
- 3 habanero’s “optional”
- About pound of green olives, pitted. And then rough chopped.
- About ½ cup of capers. Rinse them at least once.
- 3 peeled carrots.
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- To prepare this dish it’s a lot faster with a food processor. If not just chop it by hand. For this recipe ill assume you have a food processor.
- Clean and slice the peppers in ½, then deseed and cut into medium cubes.
- Slice celery and chop
- Rough chop the carrots
- Put the peppers, and carrots in the food processor and pulse until small chopped be careful not to chop to fine. Don’t make sauce.
- Add all the vegetable’s to a large bowl now add the olives, capers and fine chopped chili’s.
- Mix, add about ½ cup of red/or white wine vinegar and now about 2 cups of extra virgin olive oil or until the mixture is barely covered.
- Put in air tight containers and refrigerate. It gets better with time. Enjoy!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)