This is a great dish with fantastic flavors. Perfectly cooked calamari in a spicy tomato sauce with bursts of tasty dry chick peas, linguini cooked al dente and topped with fresh basil! Yum!
- 1 lb. dry linguini
- Roughly about 5 lbs. if frozen calamari. ( It shrinks.)
- About 3-4 cups of tomato sauce.
- About 1 tbs of red chili flakes. Use as much or as little as you want.
- Handful of fresh basil.
- One large can of chick peas.
- Defrost calamari in a large bowl of water. Once defrosted they need to be cleaned. It’s really easy, put your fingers in the calamari body, there’s a long piece of cart ledge it’s almost like plastic, just pull it out. That’s it.
- Cut the calamari into rings, I use medium size cuts and just put on the side for now.
- Get a large pot of water, add salt bring to a boil. This is for the pasta.
- Open the chick peas and rinse them thoroughly, we don’t want that brine water in our sauce.
- I usually have tomato sauce that has been left over. Use your favorite tomato sauce. If you don’t know how to make a sauce I have a “Pomodoro” sauce recipe on the website under “sauces”. It’s easy to make and it would work with this recipe.
- Now that your water is boiling add your linguini, follow the cooking time on the label. I usually get the pasta out 1 minute earlier than the labels recommended time.
- In a different large pot add your tomato sauce, bring to a simmer.
- 8rinsed chick peas and crushed red pepper. Bring to a simmer again.
- Add calamari, only for 2 minutes. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP. You don’t want rubbery calamari; the rule is cook it for 2 minutes or two hours. In-between it becomes rubbery.
- Now let’s put it together, once the linguini is ready strain the water. NEVER RINSE THE PASTA. Put in a large bowl.
- Add a ladle of tomato sauce to the pasta, just enough to coat the pasta. and mix.
- Add pasta to plate and now put a big healthy ladle of that calamari sauce on top of the pasta.
- Finish with fresh torn basil, a drizzle of a good extra virgin olive oil and enjoy.
- Optional: Add fresh lemon zest for a refreshing addition!
Preparation time: 10-15
Cooking time: 15-20
Difficulty level: Easy