Summary: This is a great shellfish dish with big tasty Mediterranean flavors. Soft plumb sweet mussels with garbanzo beans to add contrast against fresh crisp fennel, spicy chili flakes for some heat and then finished with fresh parsley and lemon zest for another dimension of freshness.
- A few dozen mussels, I prefer small black local fresh mussels.
- ½ bulb of fresh fennel, sliced thin
- 1 large can of garbanzo beans strained and rinsed
- A few cloves of fresh chopped garlic
- 1 cup of white wine, you can use water too. I would use less water because water has no flavor.
- Hand full of fresh parsley chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Sea salt and some good olive oil.
- In a large pot add liquid, bring to a boil.
- Add mussels, stir, once mussels begin to open shut burner off. 3.
- Strain mussels out of liquid and put to the side. DE shell when they cool a bit.
- In a large sauté pan heat high. When hot.
- Add olive oil then garlic and fennel. Sautee for about 4 minutes just a little carmelization.
- Now add the garbanzo beans and lemon juice
- Splash of white wine or water now add the mussels that you DE shelled. Add salt now, taste, taste taste.
- Finish this dish with chili flakes and fresh parsley