Summary: Sauteed Baby Artichokes Roman Style is a great side dish. You can take it a step further and add chicken and pasta for a main coarse. Baby artichokes are very healthy, and extremely tasty. I like a little lemon zest on mine it really makes the dish pop with refreshing flavor.
- 12 baby artichokes.
- 1 whole lemon and it’s zest. (that means zest the lemon first)
- 1 cup of black olives, I like Kalamata, or an oil cured olive.
- About 12 pieces of shaved Pecorino Romano cheese. (cheese optional)
- 1 cup of rinsed fresh mint, whole or rough chop is fine.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of crushed red pepper.
- Peel the outer leafs of the choke, until it’s that pale green color.
- Now with a peeler peel off the fibrous portion of the stem long ways.
- Now cut the artichokes in half longways.
- No need to clean the choke its really not developed yet plus we sill have to saute.
- Get out a large med deep pan to start saute, heat high
- Add a healthy splash of Extra virgin olive oil. Heat high, add artichokes and saute.
- Moving around artichokes every minute or so.you want a nice browning.
- Add a splash of lemon juice about 3-6 minutes in. if you need a splash of water will help from burning or drying the pan. That will help steam cook the artichokes a bit.
- Now add olives salt and crushed red chili’ flakes. Use as much as you want.
- Mix After sauteing for about 15 min turn off heat , mix in mint. And plate.
- Now add that lemon zest ! Hope you didn’t forget to zest a lemon.
- Top with shaved Pecorino Romano.
- Drizzle a a little good Extra virgin olive oil, a finishing oil preferably.
- Taste 1 artichoke and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Get very high and enjoy ! This is 1 of my favorite sides.
Cooking Times/Difficulty Levels
- Prep Time: 10-20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-15 minutes
- Difficulty Level: Easy-Medium
Recipe by StonedChef.com