- 4 large artichokes
- 3 spicy links of Italian hot sausage. Casing off the sausage
- 3 cloves of garlic Chopped.
- add 1 tbs of crushed red chili’s ( optional ).
- 1 cup of chopped olives. I like kalamata or oil cured black olives.
- ½ cup of fresh grated cheese.
- 2 whole lemons.
- 1 ½ cups of breadcrumbs. Your call.
- get a large pot and fill with enough water to submerge the artichokes. ( I know they float. That’s why pot have lids.)
- Put on high flame and begin to boil water.
- Add a healthy amount of salt.
- Cut 1 lemon in half squeeze and add to boiling water.
- Now time to clean the artichokes. 1st peel the stems of the chokes, try to leave them in tact.
- Now cut the artichokes in half horizontally. Discard the loose leafs. The stems will be cut up and put back in the stuffing.
- Get a pair of scissor and cut the remaining leafs. Get the tips off, they’re pointy and will prick you, so get rid of them.
- When finished with all the artichokes put in boiling water. Cook for about 15 -25 min or until leafs are tender.
- Take out of water and strain excess water from artichokes. Save some of that artichoke water for later. About a cup or so.
- Now with a small spoon you need to core out the choke part of the choke. That’s the flowering part, it needs to be removed. Cut off stems while were here too.
- Time to make the breadcrumbs……..
- In a large fry pan brown sausage don’t forget to take off the sausage casing stoner, take out and chop into small pieces.
- Add chopped garlic and brown,
- add breadcrumbs, grated cheese, a good squeeze of that lemon, the sausage , the stems of the artichokes, and the mix thoroughly.
- Add a few spoons of the artichoke water you don’t want the breadcrumbs to be too dry .
- Now stuff the artichokes, start with the core of the choke first, then to the outer leafs. Get in between all the leafs with every leaf should be an equal amount of breadcrumbs.
- When all the chokes are stuffed, put into 12 inch pan.
- Add about ¼ inch of the artichoke stock to the bottom of that pan. You don’t want to dry out the stuffing.
- Cover with foil put in preheated oven 350% for about 25 min.
- drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and serve.
Cooking Times/Difficulty Levels
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
- Difficulty Level: Medium
Great the next day too. this is a great appetizer or entree. Sausage and olives really make tasty bread crumb’s. You can sub sausage for crab meat, shrimp, or just lemon zest, red chili’s and fresh herbs. Artichokes love olives and lemon.
Recipe by StonedChef.com